Saturday 6 December 2008

Songs for a Stranger


(from a T-shirt found at cafe press.)

Last night I made a mix CD for a boy that I never have never met. Someone who may not exist, and who may have very different ideas on what constitutes music than me. It seemed romantic at the time. The twee whimsy* has lingered a little, but I cant help thinking that the notes swirl with desperation, as well as pretty dreams.

Oddly enough, it wasn’t actually my idea. I was bewailing the lack of suitable crush material to Northern, and tried to explain how much of an adrenalin rush making a CD for someone who you like but are never sure will like you back can be. The closest I got was that it was like the moment before being kissed, extended, with its own soundtrack devised by you. And with the sort of boys I usually date, the trick is to find the right songs that they have, somehow, never heard.

Ironically, of course, when the next boy comes along I’ll probably find that he wont like the music after all. Mix tapes belong to their time, too, and this wont. It will be a snapshot from another time, months ago, when everything thought, felt and sounded subtly different.

So, instead, I’m going to send the CD to one of you. Think of it as an early Christmas present. Just tell me what your mix-tape to no-one would begin, and my favourite answer (& therefore probably the person most likely to enjoy the collection) wins. You have until night falls on the T-house Christmas (9pm on Wednesday 10th)

Deal? I hope so.

Xxx

Lucinda


*I dress in capes and go to scrabble nights. I don’t see being twee as a problem

No comments: