Saturday 8 December 2007

My dæmons and other animals

So, as you might have noticed earlier, I discovered the dæmon test today (my original is at the bottom of the previous post) and...spent possibly too much time trying to dioscover, from it, who I am. If daemons settle c.puberty, then by rights mine should be settled too, but Nicholeus is proving tricksy in that respect. Very tricsky, in fact.

See, the first time I took the test he appeared as a red fox daemon. The second time a crow. The third a snow leapoard. The fourth a butterfly. And the fifth a fox, again. The problem with myself and online tests, I have discovered, is that I qualify every answer I give. What, I wonder, is the creator of the quiz going to learn from my response to this question? Is this an accurate portrayal, or will they read it differently to me? Is there space, within the scale of strongly disagree to strongly agree, for me to manipulate them towards my own (intentionally feline) ends?
...Yes, what I really wanted was a cat. The only good thing that can be said from this method is that at least I am not memorising the responses...I've repeated it so often that they are a jum,ble and...since each is true to a facet of me...there is definite room for flexibility. Perhaps, indeed, too much.

See, the website lets your friends give their opinions on your dæmon too. Which is great and all, but coiming home from a nice crumpety evening, seeing my Nico-fox trotting home besides me and learning from my emails that the fox has become a spider is...somewhat unnerving! It seems to be a butterfly now (which, oddly enough, I prefer, in that I'm TERRIFIED of spiders) but although I would have thought I'd prefer a butterfly to a fox, I really dont. I miss him terribly. He felt...right.

So I sat down, fearing spiders, and did the quiz again. This time I tried not to watch the pictures shifting to my right. I tried not to think too much or read into them. I tried not to ask any complicated questions at all. The result? Sergius. My third fox. I think I'll save this one the way it is because...unless something very interesting happens to Nico over the next few days...this is how I see my dæmon now. And I love him [insert sniffle here]

It made me wonder, anyway, just how they operate. If it is the personification of a soul & best friend, then surely when stabilising they would know roughly what you wanted and it might influence the stabilisation slightly. And, unless you were a somnewhat sado-masochistic person, its unlikely they would turn into something you were terrified of. In Lyra's world, I presume I would be unlikely to find my dæmon settling into either spider or snake form. Its quite comforting, really. So I'll keep Sergius here. Just in case...




and Nicoleus again... as a reminder...

ight="400">

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Still a lion and still very happy :-)
Hope you and Nico fox had a happy time last night. Thank you for making space for me (and Olin)...had such fun xx

Kathryn said...

Oh- and I can't read! you are absolutely right that there was no mention of reindeer in connection with Nico, or anyone else for that matter. Reminder, when approached through a haze of primary school Christmas, is too easily translated into "reindeer" - and the rest is history ;-) xx