Friday 7 December 2007

Worlds Away

A very good friend of mine is in the habit of beginning posts with a "word of the day". Were I to do the same, my world for you today would be Pullman...

It began, innocuosly enough, in creative writing. This takes place every second friday for two hours, and during that space we spend a fair bit of time workshoping each others things in small groups. Now, I love my group to pieces, because they say the nicest thing, but one of their comments today made my brain tingle in excitement.

N: That thing your writing...I dont like much adventure stories - I've only ever liked Philip Pullman, but I like yours. It sort of reminds me of him
Sledgehog: !!!!!!!!


...and then I was kidnapped, by three of my very good friends...

Now, New Line Cinema are in danger of acquiring a Reputation. In this fraught 21st century, where so little seems to be kept pure and constant, New Line seem to have crossed a cinematic boarder. They are fast becoming one of the few companies to produce successful adaptations of novels.


Yes, I looked upon the Golden Compass, and I saw that it was good.


(beware, potential film spoilers in the review below)


(are you sure you want to read this?)


(now?)


(...oh. Ok then)


...Very good, in fact, in my humble opinion at least. Northern Lights was always my favourite of the trilogy. Today I went in half-expecting to be devastated, for cinema has a nasty knack of cruelly butchering my best beloveds (see the tragic case of the Dark is Rising), and laughed and cried and was occasionally truly terrified. The characterisations are fantastic and very true indeed to the book itself (particularly the Jordan College children/Gyptan fight, which was the moment where my fear began its retreat and let me sit back to enjoy the film), the scenery is fantastic, and Dust is alluring, hypnotic and seems very real indeed. My three friends and I, closeted towards the front of the cinema, occasionally found ourselves bursting out into dances of joy.

Of course, there were a few things I would change – there always are – but if I care about something then I'm never convinced that it is entirely finished. I would change the beginning slightly, making the introduction to Dust more...oblique, because I think a lot of the tension derives from the uncertainty of it, and I would have changed the ending. I'm quite impressed actually – the ending was the only concession made towards aiming the film at families – but they did change it slightly. It does not end where you would expect it to end and therefore alters the entire tone. And yes, they probably wanted a semi-happy ending, but I don't see how the part they've omitted will slot happily into the nest film. After seeing this one I'm certain that they'll make it work... I just don't know how...
...And, if we were on some strange utopian planet where I was making the film, I would have demanded a better song for the closing credits. Dodgy rhymes on the name Lyra should be avoided at all costs!

But, overall, I was impressed. I was impressed by Lord of the Rings, and that wavered far further from the novels than this seems to have. And, when they decide to film the Subtle Knife and Amber Spyglass as well... well... I probably wont be able to see the screen for my tears. I had enough trouble today.


On a Similar Note

what do you think of my daemon? accurate?

No comments: